Thursday 20 December 2012

The Golden Pints

It's the end of the year and the time when Mark Dredge and Andy Mogg ask beer bloggers to list their favourite beers and beer related stuff from the year.
I'm pretty new to beer blogging, but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring and pick my faves from the year, so here goes...

Best UK Draught Beer:
The Kernel Export Stout. I had this at Craft Beer Co Islington and absolutely loved it. It's a perfect dark beer - complex, deep and malty with excellent bitter dark chocolate notes. A perfect beer in the winter.

Best UK Bottled or Canned Beer:
London Fields Hackney Hopster. This is just a fantastic hoppy pale ale. I've come back to it a number of times. It's fresh, bright, tasty and extremely drinkable.

Best Overseas Draught Beer:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale.  I like all the Rogue beers that I've had, but I've come back to this German style Maibock time and again at The Black Heart in Camden. Their delightfully named Yellow Snow was a close second. I got into that beer when it was a guest at the Brewdog bars.

Best Overseas Bottled or Canned Beer:
Flying Dog Snake Dog. This is a fantastic little IPA with bags of character - what's not to love?

Best Overall Beer
Thornbridge Jairpur. This has been my favourite beer this year. It's massively hoppy and fresh but with a real balance of flavour.

Best Pump Clip or Label:
Tiny Rebel Hadouken. I love all their design. It's fun, fresh and different. All of Magic Rock's pump clips are great too.

Best UK Brewery:
Thornbridge. A great range of beers. Aside from Jaipur, I've enjoyed drinking Chiron, Kipling, Colorado Red and lots of others this year.

Best Overseas Brewery:
Sierra Navada. Consistently great beer.

Pub/Bar of the year:
Craft Beer Co Islington. It has the vibe of an old school pub with an incredible selection of beer. The latter goes for all their venues of course but I particularly like the feel of the Islington one.

Beer Festival of the Year:
Due to some awful planning, I missed both The Great British Beer Festival and the Indy Man Beer Convention - shocking! I've been to a few smaller local festivals that I enjoyed, but I wouldn't want to name as festival of the year.

Supermarket of the Year:  
Hmmm. I'm not a big fan of supermarkets and I tend to buy as much of my beer from independent retailers as I can. However, if I have to name one it would be Waitrose. A fantastic selection - but it is still a damn supermarket!

Independent Retailer of the Year:
Utobeer at Borough Market. They have a fantastic selection of beer and staff who are knowledgeable and really helpful.

Online Retailer of the Year:
Ales by Mail. They're the one I've used most and they have a great selection.

Best Beer Book or Magazine:
I haven't read that many, but I have enjoyed 1001 Beers You Must Try Before You Die by Adrian Tierney-Jones.

Best Beer Blog or Website:
Probably Beervana.

Best Beer Twitterer:
There are loads who are good. I really couldn't choose!

Best Online Brewery Presence:
Brewdog - you just can't ignore them. I know they can be a bit annoying and silly sometimes but they certainly get themselves noticed.

Food and Beer Pairing of the Year:
Chickpea curry and Camden Town Pale Ale. It just really works! The right level of hoppy flavour alongside the spice. I don't like to go too big and hoppy with curries as I think massive hoppy flavours can clash with the spice, but this is great.

In 2013 I’d Most Like To:
Start home brewing. Make sure I don't screw up and miss GBBF again!

No comments:

Post a Comment