Wednesday 26 December 2012

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil

Harviestoun - Old Engine Oil
Before Christmas, I was pretty well stocked up on beer but then a number of people (knowing me well) gave me beery presents, meaning that my beer stash grew considerably.

Amongst the varied selection that I had amassed, one beer was really calling out for me to drink it on Christmas day. A beer that I'd heard loads about from other drinkers and bloggers but still hadn't tried; Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil.

As you pour out the beer, the aroma is incredible, a thick scent of caramel with bitter fresh coffee undertones. Colour wise, its the jet black you would expect of a porter, with a small tan head.

The flavour follows on closely from the nose. There is a sweet caramel edge from the malts which is matched by a deep smokiness and the ever present coffee and dark chocolate notes.

It has a rich, indulgent quality to it whilst having a mouthfeel that isn't too thick or heavy. The flavour gives way to an excellent bitter finish.

This is a beer to savour. As you go back in for another sip, you notice other elements coming through, such as the bitterness of the hops and slight fruity undertones. It's deep, dark and indulgent but very drinkable and not too heavy. In essence, it's an excellent beer for over the Christmas period as its flavour compliments the tastes of Christmas but its body is just light enough that you can keep drinking it.

I must admit that I am relative newcomer when it comes to dark beers. For a long time, I drank pretty much exclusively paler beers but since becoming a dark beer convert, I've been trying as many stouts and porters as possible and I have to say, this ranks as one of my favourites.

Scotland's Harviestoun have garnered themselves quite a reputation amongst beer fans and this fantastic, highly drinkable porter is a perfect demonstration of why.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog post & agree with your comments.

    Haven't had one for quite a while so could do with getting hold of one. Expand your dark beer experience mate.....if you need advice just ask. Love stouts, porters, winter ales etc etc etc. Best beertime of year :)

    Steve (stevebree1 on Twitter) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
    Inland 705 silicone diffusion pump oil

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the great submit.. good series.. accomplish continue! I adore organic olive oil with food preparation in addition to salads.. will probably certain try the above mentined methods for pores and skin in addition to head of hair way too bonny light crude oil

    ReplyDelete