Wednesday 5 December 2012

Brewdog Hello My Name is Beastie


Whilst riffling through the incredible selection of beer at Borough Market’s Utobeer, I spied a couple of bottles of Brewdog’s ‘Hello My Name is Beastie.’ It’s an 8.2% IPA infused with brambles.

As soon as I saw the bottle, I had to try it. I’d wanted to see what combining blackberries with an IPA would do to the taste, since I heard about this beer. It disappeared from their online shop pretty quickly (as you’d expect with one of their limited editions) and I hadn’t found a bottle since. But then Utobeer is the place to find beers that nobody else has.

It pours a pale coppery orange colour with a hint of red and has minimal head. As soon as the beer leaves the bottle, a brilliant bitter hoppy aroma is released. There is a definite hint of forest fruits on the nose, undercut with a tang of orange peel and lemon.

The taste follows the nose and is characterised by a zesty tanginess that you would expect from the American hops in this style of IPA. Whilst it is relatively subtle, there is a clear hint of forest fruits that really does add an extra dimension to this beer.

This is a brilliantly well balanced IPA with a distinctive and cleverly crafted taste. The bitterness is underpinned with slight malty tones and a good boozy kick from its 8.2% ABV.

Hello My Name us Beastie is a typically clever beer from Brewdog. It takes a style that in many ways is the key beer in the craft beer movement and gives it an extra twist. Highly recommended if you can find a bottle kicking around somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment