Friday 14 December 2012

Brewdog Prototype Beers

Promotional shot of the three Brewdog prototypes
It was with a genuine sense of excitement that I ordered a box of three of each of Brewdog's new prototype beers last night: A dry hopped low ABV pilsner called Nuns with Guns, an ultra hoppy IPA called Jack Hammer and a 10% Russian Imperial Stout called Cocoa Psycho.

The three beers have been produced as part of their 'prototype challenge.' A limited batch of each beer is now available via their website. Customers have been invited to vote for their favourite and Brewdog will produce the winning beer throughout 2013.

As we all know, Brewdog are masters of promotion and of course this is a clever promotional scheme, but they do after all produce groundbreaking beers and the prospect of receiving three test beers in the post has already got my excited.

If I'm honest, I haven't disliked a single Brewdog beer that I've had. I do of course have favourites that I keep coming back to, but the thing that they are great at is producing a wide range of styles and doing each consummately. With that in mind, I think it will be difficult to pick a winner between a pilsner, an IPA and a stout.

I'm interested in trying them all, but Jack Hammer has got me really intrigued. It's a 7.2% ABV IPA and apparently the bitterest that they've ever produced. It's dry hopped with Centennial and Columbus hops and in typical Brewdog fashion comes with the warning that it's not for "the feint hearted, elderly or French!"

Once they arrive, I'll work my way through all three and write a piece about them. Say what you like about Brewdog's approach to marketing and advertising but at the end of the day, what matters is that they continue to produce innovative and exciting beers. It's great that fans have the opportunity to test three prototypes and give Brewdog themselves their verdict. Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment