Wednesday 23 January 2013

Brüpond Ain'cho Mum's Porter

Brüpond Ain'cho Mum's Porter
When Brüpond opened for business, they were joining an increasing crowded London brewing scene alongside some hugely inventive breweries. Their aim from the off has been to stand out, not for gimmicky brews but for genuinely unusual and interesting beers.

With that in mind, they've created Ain'cho Mum's Porter which is infused with chilli. The colour is what you'd expect, a brownish black with a hint of deep cherry red if you hold it up to the light. It pours with minimal head and immediately releases a bitter dark chocolate aroma.

The taste does follow the nose, with the chocolate ever present. Alongside this, there is a hint of cherry sweetness and caramel that gives way to wood smoke and spice. The chilli comes in on the finish. It's definitely there but not overwhelmingly so. It provides an excellent counterbalance to the sweetness from the malt and the chocolate character.

It has a decent, rounded body and mouthfeel and a character that develops on the palate. This is certainly an interesting beer with a character that changes and develops as you drink it, but its probably not one I'll come back too particularly often.

It's an interesting take on a familiar style and I definitely think it does what it sets out to achieve which is matching up the complex bitter chocolate and smokiness of the porter with the chili finish. But for me personally, I would would more readily pick up The Kernel's Export India Porter or Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil. That's not to say I don't like it, just that I can't see if becoming on of the dark beers I drink regularly. However, it has left me intrigued. It's the first of their beers that I've tried and I'm sure I will give it another go.

Alongside Ain'cho Mum's Porter, they also produce Tip Top Hop which is a continually hopped IPA and Sweet Bee which is a honeyed wheat beer. On the strength of Ain'cho Mum's Porter I'd definitely be up for trying these two and any new beers that they may produce.

Its great to see more breweries joining the craft beer scene and producing interesting brews, even if like Ain'cho Mums they're beers I wouldn't choose to drink the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment