Saturday 12 January 2013

A Love of Dark Beer

A pint of stout
I must admit, my appreciation of dark beers is a relatively new thing. For a long time, I favoured paler hoppy beers, particularly IPAs, but I would also choose other pale ales and also pilsners over darker beers.

Many people are a bit obsessed with great big hop bombs and in a sense I can see why. They deliver huge hits of flavour and can have great tropical fruit and citrus tastes.

Fans of craft beer have been particularly seduced by beers with massive amounts of American hops and you could go as far as saying that IPAs and American pale ales are the defining beers of UK craft brewing at the moment. In many ways though, that is a view that is a bit too easy. 

British breweries produce a huge range of styles, with great diversity occurring within sometimes seemingly small brackets. Thornbridge, who are to my mind one of the top breweries at the moment, brew dazzling array of beers, taking in everything from a Vienna style lager to a red ale and a black IPA and much more besides. 

Camden Ink's pump clip
For me though, some of the most exciting beers being produced in the UK are stouts and porters. Camden Town's brilliantly named Ink is a seductive and highly drinkable stout with a delightful roasty bitterness, notes of red fruits and a big hit of coffee.

The other day, on a trip to Craft Beer Co Brixton, I had a half of Dark Star's full bodied and powerful Imperial Russian Stout. With an ABV of 10% and a huge boozy dark chocolate flavour, its certainly not a beer to drink in large quantities but this complex, balanced and highly enjoyable stout is an excellent addition to their already fine selection of beers. 

To list all the fine dark beers being produced by the most interesting breweries in the UK, would be a laborious and essentially pointless task, but there are many of note which deserve the attention of the discerning drinker. Redemption's awesome Fellowship Porter and Thornbridge's killer St Petersberg stout are two beers that really can't be ignored.

I recently wrote about Harviestoun's dynamic and beautifully crafted porter Old Engine Oil and I was also very happy to learn that Brewdog are to produce their imperial Russian stout Cocoa Psycho throughout this year. 

Kernel Export Stout
Right now, I couldn't write a piece about dark beers without mentioning The Kernel's Export Stout. It has a smoky, roasty quality coupled hints of dark fruitiness, a sweetness from the malts and bags espresso and dark chocolate bitterness. Every beer I have tasted from The Kernel has been brilliant, but in many ways this is my favourite. Like with many craft breweries, when people write about them, they focus mainly on their pale beers and big hop bombs. In many ways, their Export Stout defines their creativity and their commitment to producing flavoursome, interesting beers that make you want to come back for more.

The more I drink dark beers, the more I grow to love them. They can be comforting, particularly in the winter, as well as being complex, bold and having flavour profiles that seem to change with each gulp. 

Our dark beers are one of the (many) things that make the UK beer scene interesting, so lets celebrate them. In some ways, getting into pale ales and appreciating a decent hoppy IPA is easy but dark beers do require a bit more consideration. Personally, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of the brilliant range of stouts and porters that are available and I can't wait to expand my knowledge!   

4 comments:

  1. Hey Simon, I highly recommend Fuller's London Porter if you haven't yet tried it. Its not exactly a "craft beer" in one sense I guess but its a classic of the style and I can't really think of a more complex, malty, roasted, delicious porter. Reviewed on my blog here: http://porter-pages.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/review-33-london-porter-fullers-brewery.html

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a massive fan of hoppy pales but have been dipping my toe into the world of dark beers of late and its been a joy..not a fan of coffee/chocolate additions though.. drinking a Buxton Imperial Black at the moment which is the best of both worlds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porter Pages- I do like Fuller's London Porter.It's a good beer - I'm about decent beers, doesn't matter if they're 'craft' or not.

    Just one minor thing - my name is Andrew and not Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean- thanks for the comment. I don't mind chocolate/coffee additions if it is done right. Will check out Buxton Imperial Black

    ReplyDelete